Former fire officials waive hearings

  • By Scott Beveridge
    Staff writer
July 16, 2012
Image description
Photos by Scott Beveridge / Observer-Reporter
Above, former Allenport Fire Company assistant chief Traci Fedrick leaves court with her attorney, Alan Benyak, after she and her husband waived their preliminary hearings Monday. At left, state constable Marcus Carroll escorts former Allenport Fire Company chief Victor Fedrick from court Monday. Order a Print
Image description
Scott Beveridge / Observer-Reporter
State constable Marcus Carroll escorts former Allenport Fire Company chief Victor Fedrick from court Monday after Fedrick and his wife, Traci, waived their preliminary hearings before District Judge Larry Hopkins. Order a Print

CHARLEROI – A former fire chief and his wife who served under him waived their preliminary hearing Monday on charges they stole more than $13,000 from Allenport Fire Company, meaning the case will proceed to Washington County Court.

District Judge Larry Hopkins also released Victor Fedrick, 42, of Allenport, from Washington County Jail on unsecured bond when the Fedricks appeared in court.

Fedrick and his wife, Traci, 38, who served as Allenport’s assistant chief, each are charged by Roscoe, Elco, Stockdale and Allenport regional police with 159 felony counts, which include charges of theft, receiving stolen property and illegal use of a credit card.

Police accuse the couple of signing fire company checks to illegally withdraw $9,210 from its account at a local credit union.

They also face allegations they used a company credit card to purchase $4,266 in gasoline for personal use between April 2010 and April 2011.

Whether there are credibility issues in the case will have to be resolved later, said Russell Korner, the public defender representing Victor Fedrick, who had been jailed on $75,000 bond since his July 6 arrest.

Traci Fedrick’s attorney, Alan Benyak, said his client maintains her innocence but would be willing to repay the money following an audit of the fire company’s financial records.

She turned in her equipment Monday to Allenport Fire Company, Benyak said.

She agreed to waive her preliminary hearing in exchange for her husband’s release from jail because they are the parents of two young daughters, Benyak added.



blog comments powered by Disqus