Teen waives charges in high school break-in

  • By Andy McNeil
    Staff writer
August 30, 2012

BURGETTSTOWN – One of three teens accused of breaking into Burgettstown High School and causing more than $100,000 in damage waived his case to court Thursday.

Mark Shriver, 18, who last known address was 1530 Main St., Burgettstown, is charged with two counts each of burglary, theft and criminal trespass along with numerous counts of criminal mischief and receiving stolen property. He also is charged with hindering apprehension for allegedly lying to police about a co-defendant’s whereabouts during their investigation. Shriver had been scheduled for a preliminary hearing Thursday before District Judge Gary Havelka.

An alleged accomplice, Ronald Fay Boyer, 19, of 66 Baby Hollow Road, Burgettstown, waived the same charges to court earlier this month. He was arrested in July by Smith Township police for allegedly breaking into the school twice in late June.

Boyer waived additional charges of criminal trespass and theft to court Thursday for allegedly breaking into the school and damaging a soft drink machine in April. A burglary charge relating to the April incident was withdrawn.

Police initially charged a 17-year-old Burgettstown boy and a 16-year-old Burgettstown boy along with Boyer for the June burglaries. Those charges were dismissed against the 16 year-old, but he was charged for an April break-in, police said. The 17-year-old was adjudicated delinquent in juvenile court on burglary, theft and other charges.

According to police, the teens wore masks when they entered the school by smashing out a cafeteria window with a hatchet in the early morning hours of June 28. Police said they also broke in the following morning and did additional damage.

According to Superintendent Deborah Jackson, the loss to the district was $108.000. The teens allegedly damaged nearly 40 classrooms and several administrative offices. A number of class rings dating to the 1930s also were stolen but later recovered.

Havelka agreed to change Shriver’s bond to $120,000 unsecured. He will be released from the Washington County jail pending trial and placed in the custody of his father in Ohio.

Boyer remains in the county jail on $300,000 bond.Please see Teen, Page B2



blog comments powered by Disqus