Fire damages house in Houston
Firefighters battle a fire in Houston Sunday afternoon.
Kathie Warco / Observer-Reporter
Order a Print
HOUSTON – Amy Chase was at work at The Meadows Racetrack & Casino about 2:30 p.m. Sunday when she got the call no one ever wants to receive – her home in Houston was on fire.
Chase said that her daughter had just left her own job on Grant Street in Houston when she saw smoke coming from the area and drove past her mother’s house at 137 N. Haft St. Her daughter’s boyfriend was able to rush in and save Chase’s dog, Lacy, before firefighters arrived. Chase’s 16-year-old son, Corbin, was at a friend’s home when the fire was reported.
Dave Luongo was in the driveway of his home, located across Chartiers Creek behind Chase’s house, when he noticed the fire next to the front corner of the house.
“I grabbed a rake so I could pull what looked like hay from the side of the house,” said Luongo, a former volunteer firefighter. “The electric wires were sparking when I got here.”
Robb Meddings, assistant Houston fire chief, said it is unlikely the fire was burning for long before it was discovered. The Washington 911 dispatch center had received numerous calls about the fire.
“Since it was a nice day, there were a lot of people out working in their yard,” Meddings said.
When Houston firefighters arrived, there was fire coming out of the from a front corner of the home. Meddings said no cause of the fire had been determined Sunday afternoon. The state police fire marshal will be at the scene as soon as today to assist in determining the cause.
Chase said she has owned the home for about four-and-a-half years. The Red Cross was called to assist her and her son with temporary housing.
No injuries were reported.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union