Man charged in 2011 fatal crash
A West Virginia man was arraigned last week on charges filed by state police in connection with a 2011 fatal crash on Interstate 79, near the south junction with Interstate 70, South Strabane Township.
John W. Cruse II, 26, of Westover, W.Va., was charged with homicide by vehicle, failure to drive at a safe speed, careless driving and reckless driving in the March 4, 2011, crash that killed 49-year-old Cynthia A. Bittengle of St. Clairsville, Ohio.
Both Bittengle and Cruse were traveling north in the left, northbound lane of I-79. Cruse reportedly failed to see she had slowed for traffic. His vehicle struck her sport-utility vehicle in the right rear.
The impact caused her SUV to travel sideways through the grassy median to the southbound lanes of the interstate. State police said her SUV barrel-rolled across both southbound lanes. Bittengle, who police said was not wearing a seat belt, was ejected while the vehicle was rolling.
Bittengle was pronounced dead at the scene of multiple injuries. Cruse was not hurt in the crash that closed both southbound lanes of the highway for several hours.
Cruse was arraigned Wednesday before District Judge Robert Redlinger and released on $100,000 unsecured bond. A preliminary hearing will be held in Central Court at a later date.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 3North Bethlehem Twp. man sentenced to 2 to 4 years for sex assault | Observer-Reporter
- 4Parents of toddler will head to court | Observer-Reporter
- 5Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union