Thief steals presents for needy kids at church
UNIONTOWN, Pa. (AP) — You’re a mean one, Mr. Grinch.
State police are searching for whoever stole about 20 presents earmarked for needy children from a southwestern Pennsylvania church.
Pastor Ewing Marietta’s church has a “tree of angels” listing the gender and ages of poorer children, for whom members of his Liberty Baptist Church buy presents. They were to be given out at a church celebration on Dec. 23.
Marietta says the woman who runs the program noticed they were gone when she returned Tuesday from several sick days. After checking to ensure the presents hadn’t been moved or stored elsewhere, church officials called police Wednesday.
The North Union Township Church is hoping to raise money to replace the presents with a Friday auction and a Gospel concert Saturday.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 2Rescue kennel, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 3Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
- 4Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte
- 5Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter