Man accused of robbing teen
A 19-year-old Monessen man already in the Washington County jail on drug and firearms charges is also accused of robbing a Charleroi teenager at gunpoint earlier this month.
Jon Ray Keith Kennedy Jr. initially was arrested Dec. 15 by Charleroi Regional police during a traffic stop on Lincoln Avenue. Kennedy, who was a passenger in the vehicle stopped by officers Ryan Brand and Michael Kresich, allegedly threw a .22-caliber revolver out of the vehicle. He also was sitting on top of a black backpack that contained suspected crack and marijuana as well as bullets for the gun.
Also inside the backpack, police found a Charleroi Area School District athletic pass and gift card in the name of a 15-year-old Charleroi boy who is a ninth-grade student at the school. Kennedy claimed to have found the pass and gift card.
Before police were able to contact the teen, the 15-year-old came to the Charleroi police station to report he was robbed at gunpoint Dec. 14 by two men on Center Avenue in North Charleroi.
The teen told police the two men approached him and asked for directions to Charleroi Area High School. One of the men then pulled a gun and stole the boy’s backpack that contained the pass and gift card. He also allegedly punched the teen in the right eye and the back of the head.
While the boy was making the report to Officer Elijah DeFassio, Kresich overheard him. Kresich asked the teen to describe the robber and the gun. The boy was able to pick Kennedy out of a photo array.
The teen told police his mother had him report the robbery.
Kennedy was arraigned Friday before District Judge Larry Hopkins on the new charges of firearms not to be carried without a license, receiving stolen property, disorderly conduct, harassment, reckless endangerment, theft, robbery, aggravated assault and terroristic threats. Hopkins set a $50,000 bond on the new charges.
Kennedy was already in jail on $25,000 bond set by District Judge Mark Wilson on the charges filed in connection with the traffic stop.