Police kill theft suspect outside Kmart
SPRINGETTSBURY TWP. (AP) — Authorities in southern Pennsylvania say a man accused of stealing was fatally shot by police outside a Kmart store.
The York Daily Record reports that the shooting happened around 7 p.m. Saturday in Springettsbury Twp. in York County.
Police Chief Thomas Hyers says four officers responded to a reported theft and managed to get the unidentified 40-year-old man outside. He had a knife and refused to drop it, even after officers used a stun gun on him.
Hyers says the man charged at two officers with the weapon, and they both shot at him. He was pronounced dead at York Hospital.
Hyers would not identify the officers but says their actions appear to be justified. He says they will be put on leave during an investigation by state police.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2Coal drives decrease in assessment values | Observer-Reporter
- 3Avella store robbed at gunpoint | Observer-Reporter
- 4Funeral director´s license revoked | Observer-Reporter
- 5Burrell downs McGuffey for ninth straight team title win | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union