Trinity East student removed after alleged death threat
An elementary school student at Trinity East was removed from the building Tuesday after allegedly making a death threat against another student.
The boy is undergoing an evaluation, the outcome of which will determine if he returns to school or if another educational alternative is found for him, said Dr. Paul Kasunich, district superintendent.
Nine parents of second-grade students at Trinity East met with Kasunich Wednesday afternoon.
The meeting was arranged by Doug and Brenda Hrabik after learning that the boy allegedly told another student he would kill him by shooting him with one of his father’s guns.
Kasunich said there were guns in the home of the boy’s father, but a third party had confirmed they are no longer there.
Not only was the child who was threatened afraid to return to school Wednesday, but another parent said her daughter also expressed fear she could be the victim of a school shooting.
Last month’s Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newtown, Conn., was fresh on the minds of the parents, who also questioned Kasunich on communication within the district. Parents said there have been other issues with the same boy but the superintendent had not heard about them.
Kasunich met earlier in the day with one of the boy’s parents and described that parent as “very concerned.” There is now a plan in place to address the incident, he said, including an assessment that is likely to take several days and then a determination by health officials of what to do next.
“Until I’m convinced that that help is working, there’s not going to be any readmission,” he said, and he agreed to meet with all parents of second-grade students at Trinity East if they so wish.
“I think we’re on the same page,” Doug Hrabik said after the meeting, “but I want to see what action is taken.”
Trinity School District began looking at safety issues prior to the Connecticut shooting. Kasunich said an outside firm had been hired in November to evaluate each school building in the district and make recommendations on improving safety.
“I worry about this every day,” he said.
Stanford’s Appel prepares for draft a second time (88)
Nadal favored, but not seeded No. 1 at French Open (62)
Avalanche hire Patrick Roy as coach (58)
Rogge praises wrestling’s changes (55)
Kenseth looks to continue winning ways (51)