Shop open for business after fire

  • By Kathie Warco January 9, 2013

An early morning fire in a heating and air conditioning unit on the roof was not enough to keep Sorrelle Bridal Salon in North Franklin Township from opening as scheduled Wednesday.

Township firefighters were called at 4:58 a.m. to the shop at 1855 W. Chestnut St.

“When we were dispatched, we were told that there were seven smoke detectors going off so we knew it was more than just a system malfunction,” said North Franklin Assistant fire Chief David Bane.

When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the unit on the roof of the building.

“That is where most of the damage was contained to,” Bane said. “There was minimal smoke in the building. We did vent the shop.”

Bane said firefighters were at the scene for about 90 minutes. No injuries or other problems were reported, he added.

Jean Lambert, who owns the shop, said none of the clothing or veils was damaged.

“The firefighters were here instantly,” Lambert said Wednesday afternoon. “They are amazing. Not a single dress, veil, bead or sequin was damaged. The fire never reached the inside of the shop.”

She said the salon was able to open at 8 a.m. as scheduled.

Assisting at the scene were firefighters from Canton, South Franklin and South Strabane townships.

Kathie O. Warco has covered the police beat and transportation for the Observer-Reporter for more than 25 years. She graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in journalism.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Washington City Mission serves residents on Thanksgiving

Peters students to return to classes today

Cleveland man arraigned for child sex assault

Monongahela proposes 2-mill tax increase

Father sues over daughter’s choking death

Peters Council approves improvements to Lutes Road

Meeting recap

Fires destroy two houses in Cecil Township

John F. Kennedy preschoolers celebrate Thanksgiving Charlie Brown style

Pint-sized Pilgrims