National Pike Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, recently held a grave dedication ceremony to honor Revolutionary War Capt. Andrew Swearingen at Cooke Cemetery, South Strabane Township. From left are Deborah Davis, Pennsylvania DAR state regent, and Linda Bergman, Patricia Stavovy and Jean Anthony, members of National Pike Chapter DAR. Others who attended included members of the Pennsylvania Daughters of the American Revolution, George Washington Chapter, Ebenezer Zane Chapter in Ohio and Sons of the American Revoluntion, Swearingen descendants from the state of Washington and North Carolina and Eagle Scout Duane Dorn. Swearingen was born Feb., 17, 1747. In October 1776, he was appointed a justice of the peace for Yohogania County in the District of West Augusta and served as a captain of a militia company. In 1778, he served in Gen. Lachlan McIntosh’s expedition to Ohio County when Fort McIntosh and Fort Laurens were built. Swearingen also commanded the Rangers on the Frontier in the newly created Washington County. In 1782, he commanded a company in the Third Battalion of the county militia and participated in the Crawford Campaign in Ohio. Swearingen served as treasurer of Washington County from 1783 until 1786, and he and John Hoge served as contractors for the first courthouse of Washington County. Swearingen died June 26, 1824. He is buried with family members in Cooke Cemetery.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union