Finleyville man held for court in sex assault case

February 6, 2013
Russell Robertson

A Finleyville man accused of sexually assaulting a 15-year-old girl at a Carroll Township home last year waived his case to court.

Russell William Robertson, 49, of 5141 Chevy Chase Road, is now facing three counts each of statutory sexual assault, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse, endangering the welfare of children and corruption of minors. One count of each charge was withdrawn prior to the start of Wednesday’s proceeding before District Judge Joshua Kanalis by Assistant District Attorney Traci McDonald.

The alleged victim told police she was assaulted during a three-month period from August through October. She said she was touched inappropriately by Robertson. The victim had gone to the home in Carroll to visit a friend. Robertson was reportedly living there at the time.

Robertson also is accused of giving alcoholic beverages to the alleged victim and her friends. He is accused of having the inappropriate contact with the 15-year-old while she was highly intoxicated.

McDonald asked Kanalis to include conditions on Robertson’s bond including no contact with the alleged victim and her family.

“And that is including any comments by the defendant or his family on social networking sites,” McDonald said.

Kanalis asked Robertson and family members who were in the courtroom whether they understood the conditions.

“If you see one of them in a grocery store, turn around and leave,” Kanalis warned. “Otherwise, his bond could be violated.”

Robertson’s attorney, Phil DiLucente, told Kanalis that attorney Steven Toprani was going to prepare an order to have a detainer removed so that his client can post bond. Robertson is in the Washington County jail on $100,000 bond in addition to the adult probation detainer.

Prior to the start of the proceeding, Kanalis admonished DiLucente and co-counsel James Ecker for arriving 45 minutes late. DiLucente explained that they thought the hearing was being held before District Judge Mark Wilson and had gone to Monongahela.

Kathie O. Warco has covered the police beat and transportation for the Observer-Reporter for more than 25 years. She graduated from Duquesne University with a degree in journalism.

View More from this Author



blog comments powered by Disqus