Donora church to memorialize Musial
A Roman Catholic Mass will be celebrated Saturday in the late Stan “the Man” Musial’s hometown of Donora to honor the pro baseball legend.
The program at Our Lady of the Valley Church on Second Street Extension will follow the same one used in St. Louis when the funeral Mass was held Jan. 25 for the Hall of Famer who has been called one of the nicest baseball players of his time, Donora Mayor John Lignelli said.
Musial, who had a 56-game hitting streak for the St. Louis Cardinals, died Jan. 19 at age 92.
Steve Russell, a retired Belle Vernon Area High School superintendent and avid sports memorabilia collector, will deliver the eulogy at the Donora Mass scheduled to begin at 10 a.m.
A video on Musial’s life provided by his family will be shown at the Donora Borough building, 601 Meldon Ave., following the church service, Lignelli said.
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2`Finding Zink´ a success | Observer-Reporter
- 3Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 4Games of chance reporting deadline extended | Observer-Reporter
- 5Carnegie Mellon student killed in apparent murder-suicide | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union