Softball: C-H plays powerball
Haley Sutton and Casey Craig each hit two-run home runs Wednesday to help Chartiers-Houston to a 10-0 victory in five innings over host Waynesburg in a Section 2-AA game.
Kayla Briggs struck out five and allowed two hits for the Bucs (1-0, 4-0). Piper McLaughlin and Megan Kraushaar each hit a double.
Hannah Gibbons doubled for Waynesburg (0-2, 2-3).
• Sarah Kleinhans and Sammie Weiss combined to drive in seven runs to help McGuffey take a 15-0 victory from Beth-Center in a three-inning Section 2-AA game in Claysville.
Weiss doubled and drove in four runs and Kleinhans doubled and knocked in three for the Highlanders (2-0, 2-0). Mandy May doubled. Cassie Weiss did not allow a hit and struck out six of the 10 batters she faced. B-C fell to 1-1, 1-1.
• An 11-run first inning powered Uniontown to a 16-1 victory in three innings over Mapletown in a non-section game.
Leighlyn Guthrie struck out seven and went 3-for-3 with five RBI. She had a single, triple and home run for Uniontown (1-2). Lauren Adams had Mapletown’s lone hit, a single in the first inning.
• Mackenzie Marchitello tripled and drove in two runs to send Bentworth to a 7-0 victory over Washington in a Section 2-AA game.
Casey Hite tossed a two-hit shutout for the Bearcats (1-0, 1-0). It was Wash High’s first game of the season.
• Serra scored in all but one inning to take an 11-5 victory from Jefferson-Morgan in a Section 2-A game in Jefferson.
Gia Husnick hit a solo home run and Morgan Willaman doubled for Serra (1-1, 2-1).
Morgan Simkovic hit a three-run home run for J-M (0-2, 1-2) and Camryn Dugan, Regan Rush and Jessica Taylor each had a double.
• Celina Cantini struck out nine and drove in three runs to pace Ringgold to a 12-2 victory over South Fayette in a five-inning Section 2-AAA game in Monongahela.
Taylor Myers and Carrie Guballa each had a double for the Rams (1-0, 2-0). South Fayette fell to 0-2 overall and in the section.
• West Greene won its third game in as many days, defeating visiting Hundred, W.Va., 20-3 in three innings.
Autumn Widdup went 2-for-2 with a triple and five RBI for the Pioneers (3-0), who scored 15 runs in the second inning. Bailey Bennington also had a triple, Lauren Weaver doubled and Faith Cross went 2-for-3 with three RBI.
Jordan Rush was the winning pitcher.
• Peters Township defeated Bethel Park 2-1 in a Section 4-AAAA game. Peters Township is 2-0 in section and 8-0 overall. No other details were reported.