Baseball: Big 7th inning sparks Burgettstown win
Kurt Kawalski and Brandon Krynak each hit back-to-back doubles in a five-run seventh inning Thursday to send Burgettstown to a 9-3 victory over host Mapletown in a non-section game.
Nathan Cooper picked up the win for the Blue Devils (1-1).
Ben Boone doubled for the Maples (0-1).
• Santino Paris and Derek Allen each drove in three runs to power Avella to a 10-4 victory over host Monessen in a non-section game.
Shawn Carl and Nate Connolly each hit a double for the Eagles (2-0). Dean Hodgdon struck out 14 and did not walk a batter. Luke Doptis tripled for Monessen (1-4).
• Montour scored seven times over the final three innings to rally for a 9-4 victory against host Trinity in a non-section game. Kyle Kutchman had an RBI-double and Billy Krul an RBI-single in a four-run fifth inning. Lou Favetti and Zach Kenny each had a triple for the Hillers (2-2).
• Tyler Goodwin went 3-for-5 with two doubles and an RBI to send South Fayette to a 13-8 victory over Canon-McMillan in a non-section game. Dylan Witt and Mike Fetchet doubled for the Lions (3-1). Teegan Piechnick and Brandon Kildare each hit a double for the Big Macs (1-4).
• Zack Straszak hit a grand slam in the first inning to help power Hampton past Peters Township, 16-5, in a six-inning non-section boys high school baseball game. Eddie Edwards and Brendon Olszewski added two doubles each for Hampton (3-1), while Dave Cricks earned the win. Adam Becker had two doubles, while losing pitcher Chris Wastchak, Brett Dicello and Phil Zeffrio all doubled for the Indians (5-1).
• Shane Beaumont had two homers as West Allegheny topped Fort Cherry, 18-3, in a four-inning non-section game. Brendan Scanlon added a pair of doubles, while Michael Cummings tripled for West Allegheny (5-1). Kyle Witzberger tripled and Colon Kobrys doubled for Fort Cherry (1-1).
• Clay-Battelle defeated West Greene 12-0 in a five-inning game played in Blacksville, W.Va. Josh Lemley pitched a one-hitter for the Cee-Bees (2-0) and Tanner Bragg had two doubles. The lone hit for West Greene (1-2) was a single by Cody Jacobs.