Softball: Carmichaels’ Burns throws 1-hitter, strikes out 13
Erica Burns doubled and threw a one-hitter with 13 strikeouts and no walks Thursday as Carmichaels defeated Monessen, 11-0, in a Section 4-A game. B
urns came within one hit of a perfect game for the Mikes (2-0, 6-1), allowing only a bunt single to Marisa Germinario in the sixth inning. Caroline Cree added a triple for Carmichaels.
Shelby Minardi took the loss for Monessen (0-2, 2-2).
• Abby McCartney had a double and two triples, driving in five runs, as Canon-McMillan topped Chartiers Valley, 12-1, in a five-inning Section 4-AAAA game.
Maddie Engel and Kirsten Rush both doubled, while Alayna Astuto scattered five hits for the Big Macs (2-0, 2-0).
Jill Dunn took the loss for Chartiers Valley (1-1, 1-1).
• Monika Joseph’s one-out triple scored Courtney Domonkos in the bottom of the eighth inning and gave undefeated Frazier a 2-1 victory over visiting West Greene in a Section 2-A game.
Joseph, who went 2-for-4, ended a pitchers’ duel between Frazier’s Andrea Lash and West Greene’s Bailey Bennington. Lash pitched a two-hitter, issued only one walk and struck out nine. Bennington gave up five hits. She struck out nine. Taylor Horr scored on Bennington’s single up the middle in the first for West Greene (1-1, 3-1).
Domonkos, the No. 9 hitter in the lineup, went 2-for-4 and scored both runs for Frazier (2-0, 3-0). Lauren Weaver had a one-out double in the second inning for West Greene.
• Hayley Klein pitched a three-hitter and also doubled as Bishop Canevin won its season opener, 7-2 over Avella, in a Section 1-A game.
Bishop Canevin scored five runs over the first three innings and that was enough for Klein, who struck out 10 and walked only one. Margaret Clarke also doubled for Canevin. Avella is 0-2 in section, 0-3 overall.
• Nicole Ashcraft hit a game-tying solo home run in the sixth inning, and smacked a game-winning single in the bottom of the eighth to give Belle Vernon a 3-2 come-from-behind win over Thomas Jefferson in Section 3-AAA.
Ashcraft’s single drove in Natalie Bashada, who had two single and drove in the Leopards’ first run. Lacy Washowicz was the winning pitcher for Belle Vernon (1-2, 1-4). Kayla Prickett drove in both runs for TJ (1-1, 1-1).
• Waynesburg pounded out 15 hits and took advantage of nine Beth-Center errors and six walks to beat the Bulldogs, 17-9, in a Section 2-AA game.
Jordan Moore picked up the win, while Katie Boord doubled for the Raiders (1-2, 3-3).
Abby Gustovich took the loss, while Chelsea Snyder and Angelica Sabatini both doubled for Beth-Center (1-2, 1-3).
• Marlie Mounts had four hits, including a triple and double, driving in five runs as McGuffey defeated Washington, 13-2, in a four-inning Section 2-AA game. Cassie Weiss allowed just one hit, while C.C. Wagner tripled and Sarah Kleinhans doubled for McGuffey (3-0, 3-0). Losing pitcher Taylor Ellis doubled for Washington (0-2, 0-2).
• Morgan Ellek had three hits, including a pair of triples, driving in three runs, as Burgettstown downed Sewickley Academy, 9-1, in a Section 1-A game. Calie Ritts also tripled, while Jordan Cullison tripled and Sami Scopel doubled to back the pitching of Bry Lonick for the Blue Devils (1-0, 2-2). Sarah Henry took the loss for Sewickley Academy (1-1, 1-2).
• Kayla Briggs struck out 17 and allowed four hits to lead Chartiers-Houston to a 7-0 victory over Bentworth in a Section 2-AA game. Haley Sutton doubled and Piper McLaughlin went 3-for-5 for C-H (2-0, 5-0). Maddy Alauzen doubled for Bentworth (1-1, 1-1).
• Kirsten Chabalie had a double, triple to pace South Fayette to a 16-0 victory over Carrick in a four-inning Section 2-AAA game. Courtney Blocher had three hits for the Lions (1-2, 1-2). Ashley Iagnemma struck out eight.
• Maddie Ludrosky struck out eight and did not allow a hit in Jefferson-Morgan’s 15-0 victory over Mapletown in a Section 2-A game.
Ludrosky doubled and drove in three runs for the Rockets (1-2, 2-2). Raegan Rush, Camryn Dugan and Kirsten Stoneking each smacked a double. Mapletown fell to 0-3, 0-2 in the section.