Baseball: Wash High defeats Brownsville, improves to 3-0
Jonathan Spina tossed a six-hitter Friday to pace Washington to a 2-1 victory over host Brownsville in a Section 2-AA game.
Jordan Mooney drove in Spina with a single in the first inning, and Anthony Bombara knocked in Jesse Spara with a single in the top of the sixth, for Washington (2-0, 3-0). Spina got out of a two-on, two-out jam in the bottom of the sixth when he got Ryan Novotney to line out to center field.
Earlier in the game, Novotney had a double for Brownsville (0-2, 3-2).
• Mike Luketich tripled in two runs to help California to a 10-3 victory over visiting Frazier in a non-section game.
Jake Columbus added an RBI-triple for the Trojans (6-2). Frazier fell to 0-3.
• Winning pitcher Josh Miller hit two triples, stole two bases and knocked in a run to send Beth-Center to a 10-4 victory over Charleroi in a Section 2-AA game in Fredericktown.
Matt Riggle hit a three-run triple for the Bulldogs (1-1, 1-2). Tyler Beyer and Aaron Ankney each had a double.
Gunnar Riley and Zach Nabozny each had a double for the Cougars (0-2, 1-4).
• Mike Blasinsky smacked three doubles and Ryan Zalar had three hits and three RBI to propel Carmichaels to a 14-4 victory over visiting McGuffey in a six-inning non-section game.
Justin Newman had a double and Tyler Cole three hits and an RBI for the Mikes (3-1).
Chris Keith had a three-run triple and Brennan Crimm doubled for the Highlanders (1-3).
• Troy Whitfield hit a double, triple, knocked in two runs and scored twice to highlight Chartiers-Houston’s 16-6 victory over a five-inning Section 2-AA game against visiting Burgettstown.
Tyler Day doubled, singled and knocked in a run and Dylan Pounds tripled and knocked in two for C-H (2-0, 4-2). Doug Dinardo singled twice and had two RBI.
Burgettstown fell to 0-2 in the section and 1-2 overall.
• Frank Fortunato hit two doubles and scored twice to help lift Canon-McMillan to a 5-2 win over visiting Waynesburg in a non-section game.
Jeremiah Bartram allowed three straight singles to start the game but only one over the next six inning to pick up the win for the Big Macs (2-4). He struck out seven and walked three.
Waynesburg fell to 0-2.
• Fort Cherry had 13 hits and took advantage of 11 Bentworth errors to defeat the host Bearcats 12-9 in a Section 2-AA game.
Fort Cherry (-20, 2-1) trailed 7-3 after four innings, but scored five times in the fifth and added three more runs in the sixth. Kyle Witzberger, who was the winning pitcher in relief, went 4-for-5 with a double and three runs. Matt Heslin doubled and tripled for the Rangers, and Josh Findling and Alex Babirad each had a double.
Ben Carlisle had a triple for Bentworth (1-1, 2-1). Adam Bell went 3-for-4, and Zack Atkinson and Matt Vickless each contributed a double.
• Jefferson-Morgan scored nine runs in the third inning and defeated visiting Geibel Catholic 13-3 in a five-inning non-section game.
Winning pitcher Dom Cage struck out seven and allowed only two hits. Jordan Dicks had a double during J-M’s big inning. Josh Bissett doubled and Tyler Bowman tripled during the Rockets’ three-run fourth inning.
• Trinity Christian of Morgantown, W.Va., scored two runs in the top of the eighth inning, then held on to beat Mapletown 12-11.
Tyler Kennison, Ben Boone and Colby Kincell each tripled for Mapletown (0-2), which left 10 runners on base, including the potential tying run at second in the eighth. Mapletown erased a six-run deficit to force extra innings.
Trinity Christian is 3-3.