Softball: Trinity opens with come-from-behind win
Trinity entered Friday as one of only three teams in the WPIAL that had not played a game, but the Hillers opened with a bang, knocking off Section 2-AAA leader Montour by overcoming a five-run deficit.
Trinity scored four times in the fourth inning and added two more runs in the fifth on Olivia Gray’s two-run double to rally for an 8-7 victory.
Montour (3-1, 4-3) had used a pair of three-run innings to forge a 7-2 lead in the fourth. Stephanie Seibert hit a home run and double, and Stacey Capp doubled to lead the Spartans, who were blanked over the final three innings by winning pitcher Tiffany Clark. Clark struck out seven.
Gray went 2-for-4 with two doubles and three RBI for the Hillers, who play at West Allegheny this morning.
•Ariel Kadash and Jamie Schrock each had RBI in the bottom of the fifth inning to send Bentworth past Waynesburg 5-4 in a Section 2-AA game.
Schrock hit a solo home run in the fourth, and Mackenzie Marchitello hit a two-run home run in the second for Bentworth (2-1, 2-1). Kadash and Micaela Danley each had a double. Casey Hite picked up the win.
Taylor Staley had two doubles for the visiting Raiders (1-3, 3-4).
• Hempfield scored 14 runs in the third inning on the way to a 17-6 victory over Canon-McMillan in a five-inning non-section game.
Kasey Kolick hit a grand slam and winning pitcher Taylor Bartlow had a three-run blast for Hempfield (2-1). Kirsten Rush had a solo home run for the Big Macs (3-1).
• Caroline Cree scored on an error and Regina Menhart on a passed ball in the bottom of the fifth inning to give Carmichaels a 5-4 win over visiting Frazier in a Section 2-A game.
Lindsey Osborne and Menhart each hit a double for the Mikes (3-0, 6-1). Erica Burns struck out seven for the win.
Paige Hotz doubled and Monica Joseph and Kelsey Holp each hit a triple for Frazier (2-1, 3-1).
• Hayley Havrilla’s single in the bottom of the seventh inning scored winning pitcher Samantha Andrekanic from third base to give Serra Catholic a 5-4 come-from-behind win over visiting West Greene in Section 2-A. It was the Pioneers’ second one-run loss in as many days.
West Greene (1-2, 3-2) built a 4-0 lead after three innings before Serra rallied with four runs in the sixth.
Amy McNeill had a two-run triple and Anna Quattrone added a run-scoring double in Serra’s sixth inning. Allie Taylor also doubled for the Eagles (3-1, 4-1).
Bailey Bennington had a triple for West Greene’s only extra-base hit.
• Mikayla Fetchet and Taylor Coyne combined for five RBI as South Fayette blanked host Fort Cherry, 14-0, in a five-inning non-section game in McDonald.
Fetchet singled, doubled and drove in three runs and Coyne singled, doubled and drove in two for the Lions (2-2). Ashley Iagnemma held Fort Cherry (0-3) to one hit and struck out 10.
• Yough scored five runs over the last two innings to take a 7-3 victory from Belle Vernon in Section 3-AAA. Natalie Bashada doubled and Nicole Ashcraft tripled for BV (1-3, 1-5).
Kelsie Marconi doubled and Allie Harvey tripled for Yough 1-2, 1-2).
• Cara Grogan went 3-for-3 with a home run and five RBI to help Monessen take a 17-0 victory from host Mapletown in a four-inning Section 2-A game.
Winning pitcher Shelby Minardi did not allow a hit and drove in three runs with a double and single for the Greyhounds (1-2, 3-2). Mapletown fell to 0-4 and 0-4.