Softball: Trinity assured of at least share of 2-AAA title
Tiffany Clark threw a two-hitter and struck out nine Thursday, and Trinity clinched at least a tie for the Section 2-AAA title with a 3-0 victory over Moon.
Halli Justice had a two-run single in the first inning for the Hillers (9-0, 9-0). Olivia Gray scored on an error in the third.
Moon fell to 3-5, including 3-4 in the section.
• Chelsea Snyder cracked two doubles, drove in four runs and scored five times to power Beth-Center to a 17-7 victory over Fort Cherry in a six-inning Section 2-AA game.
Winning pitcher Abby Gustovich tripled and drove in four for the Bulldogs (2-6, 2-7). Maddie Miller, Jasmin Wadsworth and Torin Fisher each had a double.
Fort Cherry fell to 0-1, 0-9.
• Cassie Weiss struck out seven and allowed three hits to lead McGuffey to a 3-0 victory over Waynesburg in a Section 2-AA game.
C.C. Wagner doubled for the Highlanders (8-1, 8-1). Moriah McGuier doubled in a run in the second and Sarah Kleinhans singled in a run in the first.
Waynesburg fell to 6-7, 4-5 in section.
• Freshman Kirsten Rush went 2-for-3 with a double and four RBI and Canon-McMillan remained undefeated in Section 4-AAAA play with a 16-2 win over host Brashear.
The Big Macs (8-0, 8-1) had 14 hits, including three singles by Tara Fowler. Maddie Engel had a triple, and Abby McCartney and Olivia Lorusso each doubled to back winning pitcher Alayna Astuto.
Bethany Palmer doubled for Brashear (2-7, 2-7).
• Monessen took advantage of three West Greene errors to chalk up a 3-1 victory in a Section 2-A game.
Shelby Minardi struck out seven and allowed just two hits for Monessen (4-5, 6-5).
Lauren Weaver and Bailey Bennington each had a double for the Pioneers (5-4, 8-4). Bennington struck out 11 and walked one, taking the hard-luck loss.
• Natalie Hudak doubled, tripled and drove in four runs to lead Bentworth to a 13-2 victory over Washington in a five-inning, Section 2-AA game.
Mackenzie Marchitello doubled for Bentworth (6-3, 7-3).
Taylor Ellis doubled and Shannon Crumrine had an RBI-single for WHS (2-6, 2-6).
• Erica Burns went 5-for-5 with a triple, three runs scored and five RBI to key Carmichaels’ 15-3 win over Serra in a six-inning Section 2-A game.
Emma Lowry doubled, hit two singles and knocked in two runs for the Mikes (9-0, 13-1). Mia Virgili went 3-for-4 with two RBI and Lindsey Osborne and Danielle McClellan each hit a triple.
Ally Taylor tripled for Serra (5-4, 6-4).
• A 13-run sixth inning sent California to a 20-1 win over Mapletown in a six-inning Section 2-A game.
Tristan Lint had a solo home run for Cal (2-7, 3-8). Tina Puhanty tripled and Elle scales and Ashley Metzier each had a double.
Abby Shipley had a double and Madison Bogden an RBI-single for the Maples (0-10, 0-11), who made 16 errors.
• Ringgold scored in each inning to take a 10-1 victory from Thomas Jefferson in a non-section game.
Jada Castor had a double and drove in three runs for the Rams (5-5). Hallie Szamanski tripled and Haley Lettiere doubled.
TJ fell to 1-8.
• Montour defeated South Fayette 11-10 in a Section 2-AAA game.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union