BASEBALL: Beth-Center upsets Washington
Josh Miller had two hits – one of them a triple – stole a base, scored two runs and earned the save to help Beth-Center upset Washington, 4-1, in Section 2-AA play Monday.
Miller and Lane Ziker combined to allow seven hits, as Beth-Center improved to 3-5, 3-6.
The loss was the first in section play for Washington (7-1, 8-2). It also was the first time in 10 years Beth-Center has beaten Wash High in baseball.
Guy Markley and Jaylin Kelly had two hits apiece, but pitcher Jonathan Spina was lost after 2 1/3 innings when he took a comebacker to the ankle.
• Ben Carlisle went five for five, Kirk Stechly was four for four and each scored a pair of runs as Bentworth beat Charleroi, 11-1, in a six-inning Section 2-AA game Monday. Adam Bell added a double, a two-run homer and three RBI for Bentworth, which improved to 5-3, 6-3. Gunnar Riley added a double for Charleroi (0-7, 1-11).
• Austin Clark had a pair of doubles, while Jordan Dicks had three hits and Jefferson-Morgan topped Avella, 16-6, in a Section 1-A five inning game.
Winning pitcher Logan Bowman and Josh Bissett also doubled for the Rockets (4-1, 6-2).
Nick Kusich, Shawn Carl and Tim Fraysier all doubled for Avella (2-3, 6-3), while Walt Kopko took the loss.
• Sam Hockenberry reached on an error with two outs and the bases loaded, scoring Luc Bongiorni from third to give Burgettstown a 5-4 win over Fort Cherry in Section 2-AA. Drake Hoberek added two hits for Burgettstown, which improved to 3-5, 4-5.
Fort Cherry dropped to 5-3, 5-5, as Matt Heslin took the pitching loss. Michael Horzempa had a double for the Rangers, the only extra-base hit of the game.
• Mapletown took advantage of 12 walks and four hit batters by Hundred, W.Va., and earned a 16-2 win in five innings. Ben Boone, Colby Kincell and Taylor Kennison added doubles for the Maples, who improved to 1-7. Keith Popperneck was the winning pitcher after striking out six and walking none.
• Frank Fortunato had a triple and double as Canon-McMillan held off Trinity, 4-2, in a non-section game.
Luke Blanock picked up the win, while Jared Beach added a double for the Big Macs (6-6).
Nick Riotto tripled, while Cory Humphreys took the loss for Trinity (6-5).
• Phil Mary’s squeeze bunt in the bottom of the eighth inning lifted Peters Township to an 11-10 non-section win over Alderdice.
Mary’s game winner came with the bases loaded and scored pinch runner Josh Larimer for the Indians (9-3), who rallied from a 9-2 deficit.
Matt Loether had a two-run single in a three-run bottom of the seventh inning to help Steve Yuran pick up the win.
Demetrius Haskins hit a grand slam in a six-run first inning for Alderdice, while Mark Plegr doubled.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union