Baseball: Carmichaels remains unbeaten in section
Josh Mundell doubled in the top of the eighth and Mike Blasinsky singled him home to help the Carmichaels baseball team remain undefeated in Section 1-A with a 2-1 win at Jefferson-Morgan.
Brandon Lawless struck out eight and walked one to earn the pitching win for Carmichaels, which improved to 6-0, 9-2.
Carmichaels left 14 runners on base, including three innings where the Mikes left the bases loaded without scoring a run.
Austin Clark doubled for Jefferson-Morgan, which dropped to 4-2, 6-3. Logan Bowman, the Rockets’ fourth pitcher of the game, took the loss.
• Zach Walker struck out 13 batters and gave up just four hits in South Fayette’s 4-1 victory over Trinity in a Section 3-AAA game.
Ryan Coyne had a two-run single in a four-run fifth for the Lions (3-3, 6-7). Hayden Orler doubled.
Ryan Moon doubled for Trinity (3-3, 6-6).
• Trevor Wood doubled twice and drove in four runs to power Bentworth to a 9-4 victory over Fort Cherry in a Section 2-AA game.
Justin Wiltrout, Ben Carlisle and winning pitcher Jake Rothka each hit a double for the Bearcats (6-3, 7-3).
Kyle Witzberger doubled and John Finley hit a solo home run for the Rangers (5-4, 5-7).
• Winning pitcher Jonathan Spina knocked in three runs and scored twice in Washington’s 8-3 victory over Brownsville in a Section 2-AA game.
Jesse Spara and Chris Gouin each had a double for the Prexies (8-1, 9-2).
Shane Roebuck doubled and Noah Saxon hit a solo home run for the Falcons (5-4, 8-4).
• Seth Hvizda tripled, homered and drove in three runs to help Beth-Center outslug Charleroi, 13-11, in a Section 2-AA game.
Aaron Ankney had a triple and drove in two runs for the Bulldogs (4-5, 4-6). Luke Zelli doubled.
Seth Nangle had two doubles, a single and drove in three runs for the Cougars (0-8, 1-13).
• Dean Hodgdon struck out 11 and allowed three hits as Avella defeated Mapletown 9-0 in a Section 1-A game.
Walt Kopko doubled, tripled and drove in three runs for the Eagles (3-3, 7-3). Tim Fraysier had a triple and two singles and Nick Kusich doubled.
Mapletown fell to 2-8, 0-5 in the section.
• Aaron Hill and Colton Lippencott drove in two runs apiece, and Tyler Morris allowed one run over seven innings to lead the Waynesburg baseball team to a 9-1 win over McGuffey at Consol Energy Park in Section 3-AAA. Hill, Willie Ziefel and Lippencott all had doubles for Waynesburg, which improved to 2-4, 2-8.
Brent Blacharczyk took the loss for McGuffey (0-6, 2-9) after walking five and striking out two in 4 1/3 innings.
• Frank Fortunato and Justin Davey had two RBI apiece and Davey blasted a home run during the Canon-McMillan baseball team’s 7-3 win over Brashear in Section 5-AAAA. Kevin Forrester pitched three innings, striking out four and walking two, to earn the win.
Chris Hawkins doubled but suffered the loss for Brashear (1-5, 6-7) with three walks and no strikeouts.
Canon-McMillan improved to 4-2, 7-6.
• West Greene suffered an 11-3, non-section loss to Bel Air (Ohio) after the visitors scored 10 runs in the fourth and fifth innings – without so much as an extra-base hit. C.J. Gillin had a triple and Austin Eddy a double for West Greene, which fell to 5-10. Donnie White took the loss, with one walk and one strikeout.
• Troy Whitfield had four hits and earned the pitching win during the Chartiers-Houston baseball team’s 11-4 victory at Burgettstown in Section 2-AA. The win creates a three-way tie for third place, with the Bucs, Brownsville and Fort Cherry all 5-4 in section play.
Whitfield walked five and struck out two. Tyler Day had a double and a single and Kyle Johnston also had two hits for the Bucs, who are now 7-6 overall.
Kurt Kowalski doubled for Burgettstown (3-6, 4-6).
• The Peters Township baseball team made five errors and suffered a 3-1 loss to Mt. Lebanon in Section 5-AAAA Thursday night at Peterswood Park. Tyler Schmidt had a double and Ryan Black struck out seven, but the Indians fell to 3-3, 9-4.
Zack Bahm (11 strikeouts) earned the pitching win and Brad Bekampis doubled for Mt. Lebanon (5-1, 6-7).