Softball: Trinity clinches section title
Delany Elling hit a two-run home run and knocked in three runs to help Trinity knock off West Allegheny, 6-4, in a Section 2-AAA game.
Olivia Gray singled, doubled and tripled for the Hillers (10-0, 10-2), who clinched the section title. Makayla Watson went 2-for-3 with an RBI.
Emily Garvin hit two doubles and Brittany Zelli had one for West Allegheny (7-4, 8-5).
• Olivia Lorusso doubled and drove in three runs to power Canon-McMillan to an 11-0 victory over Bethel Park in a five-inning Section 4-AAAA game.
Maddie Engel tripled, singled and drove in three for the Big Macs (11-0, 12-1), who clinched a playoff berth. Abby McCartney tripled and drove in three. Alayna Astuto allowed two hits and no runs.
Molly Walsh tripled for Bethel Park (7-5, 7-5).
• Serra scored three runs on passed balls to take a 5-3 victory in eight innings over West Greene in a Section 2-A game in Rogersville.
Ally Taylor went 2-for-3 with two doubles for Serra (7-4, 8-4). Amy McNeill doubled and singled and Morgan Willaman had a double and RBI.
Autumn Widdup it a solo home run and drove in two runs for the Pioneers (5-7, 8-7), who were eliminated from the playoffs. Bailey Bennington and Taylor Horr each had a double.
• Winning pitcher Abby Gustovich singled in Maddie Miller in the first inning with the only run of the game to give Beth-Center a 1-0 victory over Washington in a Section 2-AA game.
Jaime Moore was thrown out at the plate on a passed ball in the sixth inning for Washington (2-8, 2-8). Taylor Ellis was the hard-luck loser, allowing three hits. BC is 4-7 overall and 4-6 in the section.
• Morgan Simkovic homered twice and drove in three runs to push Jefferson-Morgan to a 6-0 win over California in a Section 2-A game.
Simkovic hit a two-run shot and solo home run for the Rockets (5-7, 8-7), who despite the win was eliminated from the playoffs. Maddie Ludrosky allowed one hit and had a double. Jessica Taylor tripled.
California fell to 3-10, 2-9 in the section.
• Morgan Ellek allowed only one hit over five innings to drive Burgettstown to an 11-0 victory over Northgate in a Section 1-A game.
Ellek went 2-for-3 with two RBI for the Blue Devils (10-1, 11-4), who clinched a playoff berth. Sami Scopel went 2-for-4 with two RBI and Liz Strain doubled.
Northgate fell to 0-14, 0-10 in the section.
• Felicia Spitznogle was 3 for 5 with four RBI, Hannah Gibbsons (double) and Taylor Staley (triple) added extra-base hits, and Waynesburg softball team cruised to a 17-3 win at Fort Cherry in Section 2-AA.
Jordan Moore earned the pitching win for Waynesburg (5-6, 7-9) after striking out 10 and walking five.
Fort Cherry dropped to 0-10, 0-13.
• Emily Bryan tripled in the top of the sixth inning, and Mikayla Fetchet drove her in for the South Fayette softball team’s only run during a 1-0 win at Moon in Section 2-AAA. Ashley Iagnemma picked up the pitching win for the Lions (4-6, 7-6) with 1 walk and 11 strikeouts.