Baseball: Canon-Mac back in WPIAL playoffs
Zack Pollack’s bases loaded sacrifice fly with one out on the bottom of the seventh inning Tuesday lifted Canon-McMillan to a 7-6 Section 5-AAA victory over Mt. Lebanon, clinching a playoff spot for the Big Macs.
Pollack’s sacrifice scored Jared Beach, who had been hit by a pitch with one out to start the rally. Beach doubled earlier in the game for the Big Macs (6-2, 9-6).
Luke Blanock picked up the pitching win with three innings of two-run relief.
Eddie Jenkins doubled for Mt. Lebanon (5-3, 6-9).
• Nick Riotto threw a three-hitter with 10 strikeouts as Trinity stayed alive in the Section 3-AAA playoff race with a 4-0 win over Keystone Oaks at Consol Energy Park.
Ryan Moon had a two-run double in a three-run third inning for the Hillers (4-3, 7-6), and Connor Fritz also doubled.
Taylor Lehman was the losing pitcher for Keystone Oaks (6-2, 11-4). Brandon Gresh doubled.
• Dylan Pounds fired a three-hit shutout with seven strikeouts as Chartiers-Houston handed first-place Washington a 4-0 defeat in Section 2-AA that was switched to the C-H field.
Alec Ferrari had a pair of doubles, and Nick Grady homered for C-H (7-4, 9-6).
Jonathan Spina was the losing pitcher for Washington (9-4, 8-3), which has lost three of four.
• Jefferson-Morgan clinched a playoff spot in Section 1-A with a 17-2 win over Avella.
Winning pitcher Austin Clark, Logan Bowman and Jason Dotts each doubled for Jefferson-Morgan (6-2, 8-3).
Nate Connolly homered and losing pitcher Dean Hodgdon doubled for Avella (3-5, 7-5).
• C.J. Gillin homered and doubled as West Greene pounded Hundred, W.Va., 33-5, in a three-inning non-section game.
Donnie White and winning pitcher Matt Johnston doubled for West Greeme (3-10).
• Burgettstown forged a 10-0 lead after two innings and then held on a for a 16-10 victory over visiting Charleroi in a wild Section 2-AA game.
Burgettstown, which had 11 hits – all singles – took advantage of six walks by Charleroi pitching in the first two innings. Nathan Cooper was the winning pitcher for Burgettstown, which improved to 4-7 in section and 5-7 overall. John Dugas and Sam Hockenberry each had three hits for the Blue Devils.
Mitch Woytovich had three hits, including a double, for Charleroi (0-11, 1-15). Gunner Riley and Matt Carcella each had three hits.
• Brownsville built a six-run lead, then had to hold off a comeback by Bentworth to defeat the host Bearcats 7-5 in Section 2-AAA.
Brownsville’s win leaves the Falcons, Bentworth and Chartiers-Houston all tied for second place in the section at 7-4, one game behind first-place Washington.
Brownsville led 7-1 in the fifth inning, when Bentworth scored four runs, taking advantage of three walks and a hit batsman. But the Bearcats left the bases loaded and Brownsville held them scoreless the rest of the way.
Jacob Brevard led Brownsville at the plate with two doubles. Noah Faxon was the winning pitcher.
• Beth-Center kept its playoff hopes alive with a 5-4 victory over host Fort Cherry in Section 2-AA.
B-C (5-6, 5-7) made the most of only five hits, which included doubles by Josh Miller, Aaron Ankney and C.J. Novak. Lane Ziker was the winning pitcher.
B-C led 5-3 entering the bottom of the seventh, and FC scored one run before a key lunging catch in the outfield by the Bulldogs’ Matt Riggle helped preserve the victory.