Softball: Burgettstown clinches section title
Burgettstown clinched the Section 1-A title Thursday with a 15-0 rout of Avella in a three-inning game.
Liz Strain had a double and five RBI for the Blue Devils (13-1, 15-4), who had 11 hits. Bry Lonick struck out eight and walked two to pick up the win.
Meghan Waddell took the loss for the Eagles (4-10, 4-14), who had seven errors.
• Morgan Simkovic had three hits, including a double, to pace Jefferson-Morgan to a 5-2 Section 2-A win over West Greene.
Maddie Ludrosky scattered three hits and struck out 10 to pick up the win, and Camryn Dugan tripled for the Rockets (7-7, 11-7).
Bailey Bennington took the loss despite recording 12 strikeouts, and Autumn Widdup doubled for the Pioneers (6-8, 10-8).
• Elizabeth Forward scored in the bottom of the seventh inning to top Belle Vernon, 2-1, in a Section 3-AAA game. The loss drops Belle Vernon to 4-8, 8-12. Deanna Hileman had two singles, and Molly Gauden added a double for Belle Vernon. Lacey Washowich drove in the Leopards’ lone run.
Portia McBride allowed scattered six hits, struck out five and walked one for Elizabeth Forward, which improved to 9-3, 13-3.
• Linda Rush went 3-for-5 with a home run and four RBI, Maddie Engel drove in three runs, and Giorgiana Zeremenko hit a solo home run, as the Canon-McMillan softball team routed Peters Township, 12-1, in six innings. Tara Fowler added three hits and Abby McCartney two for the Big Macs, who are now 14-0, 15-1.
Carly Konopka homered and Tori Weida doubled for Peters Township (10-4, 16-4). Alayna Astuto was the winning pitcher after walking three and striking out six.
• Carmichaels clinched a share for the Section 2-A title with a 15-0 victory over Mapletown in a three-inning game. The Mikes have either won or shared a section title for seven consecutive seasons.
Danielle McClellan had a triple and three RBI for Carmichaels (13-1, 18-2). Mia Virgili and Amanda Brown each had a double and three RBI.
Mapletown fell to 0-16, 0-14 in the section.
• Taylor Staley’s one-out double in the bottom of the seventh inning scored Felicia Spitznogle with the game-winning run as Waynesburg edged visiting Washington 2-1 in Section 2-AA.
Spitznogle, Waynesburg’s junior right fielder, was 3-for-3 and scored both runs for the Raiders (6-6, 9-9). She doubled in the seventh to set up Staley’s game-winner.
Winning pitcher Jordan Moore threw a two-hitter, which included a double by Natalie Gloady. Taylor Ellis tossed a six-hitter for Wash High (3-9, 3-9).
• Kayla Briggs went 3-for-4 with a triple, home run and three RBI to power Chartiers-Houston to a 14-0 victory over Fort Cherry in a three-inning Section 2-AA game.
Kayla Briggs and Toni Spossey combined for a no-hitter. Spossey went 3-for-3 with a triple for the Bucs (12-0, 15-0). Haley Sutton hit a double and Megan Kraushaar a triple.
Fort Cherry fell to 0-16, 0-12 in the section.
• Aubree Yates went 3-for-4 with a triple to help Bentworth defeat Beth-Center, 17-4, in a six-inning Section 2-AA game.
Jamie Schrock and Morgan Kemp each hit a triple for the Bearcats (7-5, 8-6). Casey Hite struck out seven.
Beth-Center fell to 4-9, 4-8 in the section.