US rig count increases by 5 to 1,769
HOUSTON (AP) – Oilfield services company Baker Hughes Inc. says the number of rigs actively exploring for oil and natural gas in the United States rose by five this week to 1,769.
The Houston-based company said in its weekly report Friday 1,412 rigs were exploring for oil and another 350 for gas. Seven were listed as miscellaneous. A year ago, there were 1,974 active rigs.
Of the major oil- and gas-producing states, Texas gained seven from the previous week while Oklahoma and North Dakota increased by two. Louisiana lost two rigs while New Mexico, Wyoming and Pennsylvania each decreased by one. The number of rigs in California, Colorado and Kansas remained unchanged.
The overall U.S. rig count peaked at 4,530 in 1981 and bottomed at 488 in 1999.
- 1Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 2West Greene to receive report on failed retaining wall | Observer-Reporter
- 3Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 4Retired Consol worker wins religious discrimination suit | Observer-Reporter
- 5Sarris "deflategate" ball to be auctioned for charity | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union