Shots fired in East Bethlehem home

May 12, 2013

One man was flown to a Pittsburgh hospital by medical helicopter after shots were fired during a fight in an East Bethlehem Township home Saturday night.

East Bethlehem police charged Reginald “Reggie” Silfies, 51, of 22 Penn Ave., Clarksville, with aggravated assault, simple assault, defiant trespass and disorderly conduct in connection with an incident that left Gerald Clinton, 52, of 53 Clark St., East Bethlehem, hospitalized. The shooting occured about 7:45 p.m.

East Bethlehem police Chief Mark Pompe said the two men had been drinking together when an argument over money turned physical. Pompe said Silfies left Clinton’s house and later returned to demand money he had loaned to Clinton.

During the altercation, Clinton reportedly fired a .22-caliber revolver at Silfies but missed. Police said Silfies then grabbed a Winchester .30-30 rifle that was lying in Clinton’s residence and hit Clinton repeatedly in the head with the buttstock of the gun.

According to police, Clinton fired a second shot at Silfies with the revolver, but that shot also missed. Silfies never fired a weapon during the incident.

When police arrived, they found Clinton lying face-up on the floor with blood covering his head. Police said Clinton told them Silfies had assaulted him, and neighbors said they had witnessed Silfies fleeing the home after the gunshots were fired.

State police, California Borough police, West Brownsville police and California University police assisted at the scene of the incident. Members of the state police Records and Information Unit helped with the investigation.

Clinton was transported by medical helicopter to Allegheny General Hospital in Pittsburgh for injuries to his head. A hospital spokesperson said Saturday evening he was listed in fair condition.

Silfies was arraigned before District Judge Robert Redlinger Sunday. He was placed in the Washington County jail on $50,000 straight bond.



blog comments powered by Disqus