Strong storms that swept through Western Pennsylvania early Thursday morning damaged a Burgettstown car dealership and are being blamed for an electrical fire inside a Hanover Township home.
A service shop that was being constructed at Star Lake Ford apparently was damaged by high winds when the roof and two walls collapsed.
Frank Dellaria, the car dealership’s general manager, said the storm caused “pretty substantial damage” to the service department shop they were planning to open in September.
Dellaria said they’re waiting for more information from their insurance provider, but he estimates the opening date will be pushed back by six weeks.
Meanwhile, a house at 25 S. Kings Creek Road in Hanover Township caught fire when the line of storms moved through the area.
Township firefighters were dispatched at 1:39 a.m. Thursday, and they were able to contain the fire to the bedroom. The bed was burned, and the room had some smoke damage.
Initial reports indicated a lightning strike caused the blaze, but fire Chief Michael Morra now thinks the cause of the fire was a power surge. The owner of the home, Jerry Paulin, was inside when the fire started and called the fire department.
“He heard a crackling sound, and when he checked, he realized the room was on fire,” Morra said.
Paulin is staying with relatives.
Firefighter Joe Livada suffered a concussion when he fell six feet from a fire truck while retrieving a hose. He was taken by ambulance to Weirton Medical Center in West Virginia and was discharged later Thursday.
Staff writer Mike Jones contributed to this story.