Fire guts Taylorstown home

  • June 14, 2013
An apparent electrical fire destroyed this house in Taylorstown early Friday. - Emily Harger / Observer-Reporter Order a Print

Black smoke continued to pour from the charred remains of a Taylorstown home the morning after a fire destroyed the house.

Taylorstown firefighters arrived at 2 Main St. at 4 a.m. Friday, and they quelled the fire within 10 minutes. However, the damage to the single-story house was severe.

“It’s a total loss. It’s gutted,” fire Chief Josh McDonough said.

No one was injured. The Hewitt family, three of whom were home at the time, realized their house was on fire when they were awakened by their cat, according to McDonough.

The American Red Cross is providing shelter and assistance to the Hewitts and their three children.

McDonough said a fire marshal suspects that an electrical problem sparked the fire.


blog comments powered by Disqus

PT's Bruce wins WPIAL golf championship

Boys soccer: Jordan’s goal in OT continues Bentworth’s title drive

PIAA approves 6 classifications in football, other sports

O-R Athlete of the Week: Allison Thomas, Canon-McMillan

Girls soccer: Waynesburg sets up 4-AA showdown

Golfers struggle with Rolling Hills at WPIAL Championships

High school notebook: Decision coming on Wilkinsburg-Monessen fight

Girls soccer: Fudala’s goal helps Waynesburg clinch playoff spot

Charleroi’s Kondratik steady, places 2nd at WPIAL Championships

Boys soccer: Gabelhart goal helps PT pull out win