Sheep and Fiber Fest recognizes winners
Phil Galing of Lippencott Alpacas displays one of the shawls that was woven in record time at the 10th annual Sheep and Fiber Fest May 18 and 19 at the Greene County Fairgrounds.
WAYNESBURG – Crowds gathered May 18 at the Sheep and Fiber Fest at the Greene County Fairgrounds to watch teams compete in the Fleece to Shawl Contest, turning fleece into yarn and then into a woven garment in a few short hours.
Team members carded their allotment of fleece, then passed it on to be spun on wheels of many shapes and sizes. Others sat at looms, turning the freshly spun fiber into patterns and inch-by-inch, shawls emerged to be finished, fringed and presented to be judged. Bud Behm auctioned off the prize-winning shawls after the awards had been given.
This year’s winning teams of carders, spinners and weavers were:
• First place – Three Wheels Shy of a Loom; second, Washington Spinners and Weavers Guild; third, Butler County Peddlers; and fourth, Loyalhannon Spinners.
• Babeth Raibel was judged best spinner and Susan Lightner was best weaver.
Festival vendors whose booths were judged exceptional were also recognized. They were:
• Best fiber booth –Appalachian Sock Company of Keyser, W.Va., featuring replica Civil War socks, hand-dyed sock yarn and restored vintage sock knitting machines.
• Best craft booth – Riverwood Trading Co. of Harmony, featuring hand-carved, hand-rubbed spoons, scoops, ladles and noggins.
• In the fiber arts contest, Weslee Hursh of Brownsville took both Best of Show and Peoples’ Choice Award with her bird and horse patterned hooked rug.
• Other fiber art awards in knitting, crocheting and rug hooking went to Julia Lester, Judith Galbraith, Mary Briggs, Hillary Reeb and Debbie Reeb. The winner of the sheep sign contest was painted by Beth Day and sponsored by McCrackens Pharmacy.
To see photos of this year’s festival, visit www.facebook.com/WaynesburgPA and scroll down through the timeline to the festival dates.
Sheep and Fiber Fest is just one of the many events sponsored by Waynesburg Prosperous and Beautiful that can be followed on this page.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union