Rain Day contestants preparing for pageant
Pageant contestants getting ready for summer staple
Front row, from left, are Tanya Phillips, Morgan Voithofer, Lilly Myers, crown bearer; and Amanda Frampton; second row, Carly Riggi, Kendall Lewis, Miss Rain Day 2012; and Stephanie Mitchell; and third row, Allie Christopher, Leslie Tift and Elissa McCracken, Miss Ohio 2012.
WAYNESBURG – Seven young women from Greene County gathered recently at the Glass Room in Waynesburg University’s Benedum Hall to officially kick off their quest for the title of Miss Rain Day.
The contestants and their guests were treated to a dinner, courtesy of McCracken’s Pharmacy. Guests were 2012 Miss Rain Day Kendall Lewis, 2013 Crown Bearer Lilly Myers and Elissa McCracken, Miss Ohio 2012.
The 35th annual Miss Rain Day Scholarship Pageant, sponsored by Rain Day Scholarship Inc., will be held at 4 p.m. July 28 in the Waynesburg Central High School auditorium.
Contestants will be judged on personal interview, sportswear, talent and evening gown competitions.
Awards will be presented to those with top scores in these areas, as well as Miss Personality, Miss Photogenic, the Kelly Smotzer Memorial Award, the Remo C. Bertugli Memorial Award, and returning this year, the Scholastic Achievement Award.
A Rain Maker Award will be presented to the contestant who collects the most scholarships, and the John O’Hara Award will be given to the contestant who composes the best essay on what Rain Day means to them.
Westmoreland County Community College is again offering a scholarship to Miss Rain Day 2013.
In the next few weeks, the contestants will have their portrait taken by Bruno and Bruno photography, hold interviews with WANB Radio, participate in a community service project and attend a special dinner and performance of Disney’s “The Little Mermaid” at the Benedum Center in Pittsburgh.
Contestants also will spend an evening attending a Washington Wild Things baseball game and volunteer at the Greene County Memorial Hospital Foundation Golf Outing and Rain Day 5K race.
After the pageant, Miss Rain Day 2013, her court and the contestants will participate in the Rain Day Festival July 29, and the winners will perform for the festivalgoers.
Those competing for the title are the following:
• Allie Christopher, 16, daughter of Kenny and Tammy Christopher of Carmichaels, Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School
• Amanda Frampton, 15, daughter of Stephen and Debra Frampton of New Freeport, West Greene High School
• Stephanie Mitchell, 16, daughter of Jim and Becky Mitchell of Carmichaels, Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School
• Tanya Phillips, 17, daughter of Terry and Ethel Phillips of New Freeport, West Greene High School
• Carly Riggi, 14, daughter of John and Josey Riggi of Rices Landing, Jefferson-Morgan Junior Senior High School
• Leslie Tift, 17, daughter of Wes and Justine Tift of Rices Landing, Jefferson-Morgan Junior Senior High School
• Morgan Voithofer, 14, daughter of Jason Voithofer and Heather Voithofer, both of Carmichaels, Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union