State police investigate death at Greene County Jail
WAYNESBURG – State police are investigating the apparent suicide of an inmate Thursday morning at the Greene County jail.
A police press release said the male inmate died at 8:30 a.m. The investigation continues and no further details are being released at this time, police said. The inmate was not identified in the release and the investigating officer could not be reached Thursday for the comment.
However, other sources identified the inmates as Fred H. Spencer, 32, of Carmichaels. Online information indicates Spencer was arrested by Cumberland Township police on charges of burglary, theft from a motor vehicle, receiving stolen property and other charges.
Spencer was arraigned Wednesday before District Judge Lee Watson and placed in jail on $1,000 bond. Online case information Thursday indicates all charges had been dismissed because the defendant was deceased.
Greene County Jail Warden Harry D. Gillispie declined comment referring questions to the state police. Greene County Coroner Gregory Rohanna said his office was releasing no information on the death until an autopsy is completed.
- 1Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 2North Bethlehem Twp. man sentenced to 2 to 4 years for sex assault | Observer-Reporter
- 3Chamber hears update on phase 2 of Mariner Pipeline project | Observer-Reporter
- 4Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 5Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union