Two injured in Canton crash
A man and a woman from Reading were hospitalized Sunday following a crash on the Chestnut Street entrance ramp to Interstate 70 in Canton Township.
Joseph R. Yurkovitz, 50, and his passenger, Jessica M. Clegg, 42, were flown by helicopter to Pittsburgh area hospitals following the 11:35 a.m. accident. State police in Washington reported that they were injured seriously. Their conditions were unavailable as of Sunday evening.
According to police, a car operated by Yurkovitz experienced a tire blowout on the eastbound ramp, causing the car to roll over, strike a car operated by David A. Gessler, 58, of Wheeling, W.Va., then hit a guardrail before rolling over again.
Police said Yurkovitz and Clegg were ejected from the vehicle, and that Gessler was transported to an unknown hospital for treatment of an unknown injury.
Police said charges are pending against Yurkovitz for failing to drive at a safe speed.
Fire departments from North Franklin and Canton townships responded along with Washington Ambulance & Chair Service, Stat MedEvac, Lifeflight and Burks Towing.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 2Rescue kennel, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 3Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte
- 4Marcellus Shale facility proposed in South Strabane | Observer-Reporter
- 5Even convicted killers have freedom of speech | Observer-Reporter