Rain Day Pageant this Sunday
Seven local teens to compete for Miss Rain Day title
WAYNESBURG – Seven girls from Greene County will compete in the 35th annual Miss Rain Day Scholarship Pageant Sunday.
The competition will begin at 4 p.m. in the Waynesburg Central High School auditorium.
The contestants will be judged on the basis of personal interview, sportswear, talent and evening gown competitions.
Pageant organizers will bid farewell to the 2012 queen, Kendall Lewis, 17, daughter of Mark and Jennette Lewis of Carmichaels. She is guiding the 2013 contestants through their quest for the title.
This year, contestants will compete for their share of $8,050 in awards and scholarship bonds. Participation awards will be given to all contestants in the form of a $200 bond.
The new Miss Rain Day will win $1,000 along with a trophy, crown, banner and flowers. The first runner-up will receive $800 and the second runner-up, $600.
Winners of the sportswear, talent and evening gown competitions get plaques and $150, and the winner of the personal interview gets $200.
Miss Personality will be selected by her fellow contestants and will receive $100 and a trophy. Miss Photogenic will win $100, and the winner of the Kelly Smotzer Memorial Award will receive $200.
The contestant who collects the most sponsorship will earn the Rain Maker Award, which is $200 and a trophy. The girl who writes the best essay, as judged by a panel of journalists, will receive the John O’Hara Award, which is $100 and a trophy.
The winner of the Remo C. Bertugli Memorial Award, which is judged from essays submitted by the contestants on how a volunteering experience changed their lives, will receive $100.
For the second consecutive year, the Scholastic Achievement Award valued at $200 and a Pageantry Spirit Award worth $100 will be awarded.
Westmoreland County Community College will once again award the new Miss Rain Day a $2,500 scholarship should she choose to attend WCCC.
After the pageant, Miss Rain Day, her court and the contestants will participate in the Rain Day Festival July 29, and the winners will perform for festivalgoers.
Those competing for the title of Miss Rain Day 2013 are, in alphabetical order:
• Allie Christopher, 16, daughter of Kenny and Tammy Christopher of Carmichaels, attends Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School. She will be performing a vocal selection to “The Prayer” in both English and Italian.
• Amanda Frampton, 15, daughter of Stephen and Debra Frampton of New Freeport, attends West Greene High School. She will be performing a musical selection on the violin to “Praeludium and Allegro” by Kreisler.
• Stephanie Mitchell, 16, daughter of Jim and Becky Mitchell of Carmichaels, attends Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School. Stephanie will be performing a lyrical-acrobat routine to “Come Wake Me Up.”
• Tanya Phillips, 17, daughter of Terry and Ethel Phillips of New Freeport, attends West Greene High School. Tanya will be performing a lyrical-dance performance to “Butterfly Fly Away” by Miley Cyrus.
• Carly Riggi, 14, daughter of John and Josey Riggi of Rices Landing, attends Jefferson-Morgan Junior Senior High School. Carly will be performing a musical-theater selection to “Coney Island Waltz.”
• Lesley Tift, 17, daughter of Wes and Justine Tift of Rices Landing, attends Jefferson-Morgan Junior Senior High School. Lesley will be performing a flag-twirling routine to “Titanium.”
• Morgan Voithofer, 14, daughter of Jason Voithofer and Heather Voithofer, both of Carmichaels;, attends Carmichaels Area Junior Senior High School. Morgan will be performing a musical-theater selection to “Popular” from the Broadway musical “Wicked.”
- 1Games of chance reporting deadline extended | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 3North Bethlehem Twp. man sentenced to 2 to 4 years for sex assault | Observer-Reporter
- 4Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 5Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union