Crushers complete sweep with blowout win
AVON, Ohio – A five-run sixth inning for the Lake Erie Crushers Thursday night helped hand the Wild Things their six straight loss, 11-1, and second consecutive series sweep.
Washington, which dropped to 35-434, hasn’t won since a 4-3 victory over Joliet Aug. 9.
Lake Erie had 12 hits. Right fielder Daniel Bowman was 4-for-5 with five RBI, a homer and scored two runs.
Third baseman Andrew Davis was also 4-for-5. He, too, belted a homer and finished with four RBI.
Pitchers Matt and Brandon Smith combined to limit Washington to just three hits while striking out eight and walking two.
C.J. Beatty, Mark Samuelson and Stewart Ijames had the Wild Things’ hits, Samuelson’s a solo homer in the top of the second.
Shawn Blackwell started and gave up five runs on eight hits and four walks in five innings. Blackwell’s last win was June 22 against River City.
Jhonny Montoya allowed six runs over the final three innings.
Washington begins a six-game homestand tonight against the Florence Freedom. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m.
- 1Two injured in Amwell Township crash | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 3Sarris Candies displays "deflategate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 4Avella store robbed at gunpoint | Observer-Reporter
- 5Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union