Weight restrictions to be posted
Forty nine state-owned bridges in PennDOT District 12’s four-county region will be posted with new or lowered weight restrictions to slow the rate of deterioration and ensure safety.
Those structures are among about 1,000 structurally deficient bridges statewide that PennDOT Secretary Barry J. Schoch authorized for new or added weight restrictions last week.
The restrictions will also apply on 19 county and locally owned bridges in the District 12 area of Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland counties.
PennDOT is taking this step because legislative inaction on transportation funding left uncertain the department’s ability to repair or replace these bridges. The lower weight limits will help extend the service life of these deteriorating bridges.
The following is a list of state-owned bridges in Greene County that will be posted in coming weeks, along with the new weight restrictions. The list includes combination loads, primarily tractor trailers, which have higher weight limits because of the difference in how their weight is distributed:
• Route 2016 (Mapletown Road), west of Route 88, over Whiteley Creek, in Monongahela Township, 14 tons except combinations 18 tons;
• Route 1009 (Castile Run Road), east of Bacon Road, over Castile Run, in Morgan Township, 36 tons except combinations 40 tons;
• Route 2003 (Wades), west of Route 19, over a Branch of Dunkard Creek, in Perry Township, 27 tons except combinations 36 tons;
• Route 2003 (Big Shannon Run Road), near White Barn Road, over Whiteley Creek, in Whiteley Township, 30 tons except combinations 40 tons;
• Route 2026 (Rolling Meadows Road), east of Interstate 79, over Bradens Run in Franklin Township, 36 tons except combinations 40 tons;
• Route 3006 (Hero Road), just north of the West Virginia boarder, over Fork of Dunkard Creek, in Gilmore Township, 24 tons except combinations 30 tons;
• Route 3011 (Hargus Creek Road), north of Center Highlands Road, over Hargus Creek, in Center Township, 25 tons except combinations 32 tons;
• Route 3012 (Aleppo Cameron road), near Aleppo, over South Fork Wheeling Creek, in Aleppo Township, 36 tons except combinations 40 tons;
• Route 4017 (Scott Run Road), north of Route 21, over Scott Run, in Center Township, 30 tons except combinations 40 tons.