Charleroi mayor steps down from beleaguered theater board

  • By Scott Beveridge September 11, 2013
With restorations to the Coyle Theater in Charleroi stalled for more than a decade, the board that owns the building is moving in a new direction to bolster the project. - Scott Beveridge / Observer-Reporter Order a Print

CHARLEROI – The mayor of Charleroi stepped down this week as chairman of a nonprofit organization that has struggled for more than a decade to raise money to restore an historic theater in the borough.

Barry Cassidy, a consultant appointed by the Mid Mon Valley Cultural Trust to seek money for the Coyle Theater project, confirmed Charleroi Mayor Nancy Ellis is no longer associated with the trust.

“The trust has no comment,” Cassidy said.

Ellis has since 2002 led the trust, which purchased the building at 331 McKean Ave. originally built in the late 1890s as a burlesque house. The Coyle family later converted it into a 1,000-seat movie theater, which closed in 1999.

By 2009, the trust owed $14,000 in unpaid property taxes. In January, the Washington County Redevelopment Authority pulled a nearly $180,000 grant from the local share of the pot at The Meadows Casino in North Strabane Township from the trust because it failed to show it had raised enough money to see the work through.

Ellis, who resigned Monday, was replaced as trust chairman by Adele Pireaux, Cassidy said.

Cassidy said the trust will recruit new board members and focus immediately on raising $60,000 to replace the theater’s leaking roof. The building has no electricity and a basement holding water.

He said borough council plans to approve an arts and economic development strategy he developed around the downtown enterprise zone, which offers eligible investors tax credits.

“We’re going to utilize those credits on getting artists to locate in the downtown,” Cassidy said.

He said an arts community would help to improve the outlook for supporting a theater.

The trust also is preparing to kick off a capital fundraising campaign and apply for a $500,000 zero-interest state loan to raise $1.4 million to reopen the building.

“We’re going to go on,” he said.

Ellis could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

Scott Beveridge has been with the Observer-Reporter since 1986 after previously working at the Daily Herald in Monongahela. He is a graduate of Indiana University of Pennsylvania’s fine arts and art education programs and Duquesne University’s master of liberal arts program. He is a 2004 World Affairs journalism fellow.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Washington City Mission serves residents on Thanksgiving

Peters students to return to classes today

Cleveland man arraigned for child sex assault

Monongahela proposes 2-mill tax increase

Father sues over daughter’s choking death

Peters Council approves improvements to Lutes Road

Meeting recap

Fires destroy two houses in Cecil Township

John F. Kennedy preschoolers celebrate Thanksgiving Charlie Brown style

Pint-sized Pilgrims