Teen arrested in threat that closed Wash. schools

  • September 11, 2013

BATTLE GROUND, Wash. (AP) – A 13-year-old boy was arrested Wednesday following threats that prompted the closure of six southwest Washington schools, police said.

The closures affected nearly 4,300 students.

Multiple, written threats that police described as credible had been made Tuesday against Chief Umtuch Middle School in the city of Battle Ground. The boy is a student at that school, Battle Ground police Sgt. Aaron Kanooth said in a statement.

“Officers have determined that the suspect did not possess the means to carry out any of the threats that were made,” Kanooth said, adding there is no evidence anyone else was involved.

Police interviewed the boy, seized his computer and released him to the custody of his parents, Kanooth said.

The police investigation will be forwarded to the Clark County juvenile prosecutor with a recommendation for charges of felony harassment, the sergeant said. Police did not release the teen’s name.

The five Battle Ground schools that closed Wednesday as a precaution will reopen today, school district spokesman Gregg Herrington said.

Chief Umtuch was closed, as were four other schools on the same campus.

A nearby private school also closed Wednesday as a precaution. A spokeswoman for that school did not immediately return a phone call.

Battle Ground is part of the Portland, Ore.-Vancouver metro area. It has a population of about 18,000.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Casey Kasem’s widow sued for wrongful death

Former Va. House speaker dies

Gay marriage is legal but not on tribal lands

Reporter mocked by Trump says the two knew each other

Protest over teen’s shooting ties up Chicago retail district

As many blacks see it, there are 2 Ben Carsons

Gunman arrested in Planned Parenthood fatal shooting

White House undergoes holiday lockdown after man jumps fence

Trump called out for appearing to mock disability

Today in history