Fire damages Washington home

  • September 16, 2013
Firefighters work at a home on 870 West Chestnut St. in Washington Monday. - Karen Mansfield / Observer-Reporter Order a Print

A fire caused extensive damage to a home in Washington Monday night.

Firefighters were called to the home at 870 West Chestnut St. at 7:20 p.m. and found flames shooting from the house.

The fire destroyed the basement and caused heavy damage throughout the house, according to city fire Chief Linn Brookman, who said the fire appeared to be electrical.

The home’s tenants, Jesse and Jennifer Dunfee and their three children, were not at home at the time of the fire.

Jennifer Dunfee’s sister, Jessica Klinzing, said a kitten inside the home did not survive.

She said firefighters salvaged some framed photos from the walls and gave them to the family.

The house is owned by Jim Stout.

North Strabane Township and Peters Township fire departments assisted at the scene, and South Strabane Township Fire Department was on standby.


blog comments powered by Disqus

Washington City Mission serves residents on Thanksgiving

Peters students to return to classes today

Cleveland man arraigned for child sex assault

Monongahela proposes 2-mill tax increase

Father sues over daughter’s choking death

Peters Council approves improvements to Lutes Road

Meeting recap

Fires destroy two houses in Cecil Township

John F. Kennedy preschoolers celebrate Thanksgiving Charlie Brown style

Pint-sized Pilgrims