Caterpillar moving W.Va. plant production to Washington County
BECKLEY, W.Va. (AP) — Caterpillar Inc. is closing a highwall miner plant in southern West Virginia and moving production to a facility in Pennsylvania.
Media outlets report that the company announced the move on Monday.
Caterpillar says its plant in Beckley will close by mid-2014. Production will be shifted to the company’s plant in Houston, Washington County.
The Beckley plant employs about 40 workers. Caterpillar says the workers will be offered a severance package and transitional support.
Highwall miners are used in underground coal mines.
Caterpillar spokeswoman Barbara Cox says the company needs to make its undergrounding mining business more efficient and competitive.
- 1North Bethlehem Twp. man sentenced to 2 to 4 years for sex assault | Observer-Reporter
- 2Games of chance reporting deadline extended | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 4Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 5Charges held for court in shaken baby case | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union