Advertisement

Chartiers fire sends three to hospital

Three jump from home, hospitalized

Photo of Emily Petsko
By Emily Petsko
Staff writer
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
Chartiers Township firefighters battle a blaze Sunday morning at a home in the 600 block of Railroad Street. Three people living in the home were taken to the hospital. Order a Print
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
Firefighters from Chartiers Township and Houston responded to a structure fire that destroyed a home in the 600 block of Railroad Street in Chartiers Township about 8 a.m. Sunday morning. Order a Print
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
Firefighters examine a space heater as the possible cause of a fire at the 600 block of Railroad Street in Chartiers Township Sunday morning. Order a Print
Image description
Jim McNutt / Observer-Reporter
Firefighters from Chartiers Township and Houston responded to a structure fire that destroyed a home in the 600 block of Railroad Street in Chartiers Township about 8 a.m. Sunday morning. Order a Print
Advertisement

Three people were hospitalized after a fire destroyed their home in Chartiers Township early Sunday morning.


Several departments responded to the fire at 623 Railroad St. in Houston about 8 a.m., but the structure was already engulfed by flames.


A teenage girl, her boyfriend and her mother all jumped from their second-story bedroom windows to escape. The mother, Jannett Snow, was flown to UPMC-Mercy hospital, Pittsburgh, and her condition is unknown. Naomi Snow and her boyfriend, Joshua Long, were both taken to Canonsburg General Hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation and were later released.


Long’s father, Benjamin Long, said he was thankful his 20-year-old son was not seriously hurt. “There was an angel watching out,” he said.


Long said his son saw smoke and crawled to Jannett’s bedroom to alert her. He then jumped out of the window and caught Jannett after she jumped. Naomi also reportedly jumped from her window to the porch roof, and someone caught her on the ground.


“Things can be replaced,” said Barbara Thompson, a neighbor. “I’m just worried about Jannett. Life cannot be replaced.”


The cause of the fire has not officially been determined, but neighbors suspected the family’s space heater in the dining room and a faulty electrical system were to blame.


What do you think?