CLARKSVILLE – One person has died as a result of exposure to fumes caused by a mixture of cleaning chemicals Friday at the Advanced Personal Care Home in Clarksville, according to the state Department of Public Welfare.
DPW was made aware of the incident Friday and is conducting an investigation to determine if any regulatory violations contributed to the person’s death, Kait Gillis, DPW spokeswoman said Wednesday.
Gillis declined to identify the deceased but confirmed the death resulted from exposure to fumes from a mixture of cleaning chemicals.
Georgetta Stotka, co-owner and administrator of the 39-bed nursing home at 245 Center St., declined to comment on the incident. “Out of respect for the family, I don’t feel it’s appropriate to comment,” she said.
Stotka said the DPW officials were at the home on Wednesday. “We have nothing to hide,” Stotka said, adding information would probably be made available once the investigation is finalized.
Clarksville Volunteer Fire Company was called to the home about 11:55 a.m. Friday. Fire Chief Dan Benyi could not be reached for comment.
His father, Sam Benyi, the borough’s mayor, said patients at the home were evacuated following the incident and taken to the fire hall until it was determined it was safe for them to return. Several people were taken to the hospital, though further details were not available, he said.
The person apparently died at a hospital in another county. Greene County Coroner Gregory Rohanna said Wednesday that no death had been reported to his office.
A nursing home has operated at Center Street address for a number of years. Advanced began operating the home in 2011. The home was last inspected by DPW Sept. 12, according to DPW online records. No violations were found.
If it is determined a violation contributed to the person’s death, the home will be required to prepare a plan of correction, Gillis said. The information also will be made public on the DPW website, she said.