Officer fatally shoots burglary suspect near Pittsburgh
MONROEVILLE (AP) – Homicide detectives say a suburban police officer has fatally shot a burglary suspect who fired at the officer at a home about 10 miles east of Pittsburgh.
Allegheny County detectives and Monroeville police have not identified the officer involved, or the dead suspect.
County homicide Lt. Andrew Schurman says the shooting occurred about 10 p.m. Monday when the officer responded to a report of a burglary in progress.
Schurman says the officer encountered a suspect leaving the residence who didn’t comply with the officer’s command to stop but, instead, fired at the officer. The officer returned fire wounding the suspect, who died a short time later at a hospital.
The officer wasn’t wounded, and the homeowner reportedly escaped unharmed.
The district attorney’s office will review whether the shooting was justified.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Protecting history from I-70 construction at Bentleyville | Observer-Reporter
- 2Sarris Candies displays "deflate-gate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 3Cal U. professor found dead on campus | Observer-Reporter
- 4Three sentenced in county court | Observer-Reporter
- 5News, Sports, Events, & Community