Man arrested for heroin after traffic stop

January 3, 2014
Ryan George

WAYNESBURG – A Waynesburg man was arrested Thursday after Waynesburg police searched his vehicle and allegedly found a tire puncture sealant can with a false bottom containing 250 stamp bags of suspected heroin.

Ryan Eric George, 25, of 187 ½ N. West St., was charge with manufacture, delivery or possession with intent to deliver a controlled substance, possession of a controlled substance, possession of drug paraphernalia and driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

Police said they were contacted Thursday by a detective with the Greene County Drug Task Force who informed them George was under surveillance for allegedly selling drugs and was seen making stops as he drove back toward Waynesburg.

George’s car was stopped by Waynesburg police at 6:30 p.m. on West High Street after police noticed his car was equipped with a loud “after market” exhaust system, said a criminal complaint filed by patrolman Marcus Simms.

Patrolman Tom Ankrom, who accompanied Simms, informed George he was being pulled over for having a modified exhaust. A record check also indicated George was driving with an expired license, the complaint said. George was told he was free to go but would not be permitted to drive. He consented to allowing the patrolmen to search his vehicle.

A stamp bag of suspected heroin was found in the driver’s side door pocket and three additional bags were found in a coin holder, the complaint said. Ankrom also found a tire puncture sealant can that he said did not appear to have any pressure and made a thumping sound when it was shaken. He discovered the can had a false bottom. Police said that when the bottom was removed, they found 250 stamp bags of suspected heroin inside.

Asked when the last time he had used heroin, George told police he used five bags that day, the last about an hour before being stopped. George was taken to Southwest Regional Medical Center for a blood test.

George was arraigned before District Judge Glenn Bates and released on $2,500 bail. His preliminary hearing is scheduled for 2 p.m. Thursday.



blog comments powered by Disqus