NEW YORK (AP) – Federal safety officials are warning that a chemistry experiment done at schools across the country can be very dangerous.
The demonstration is known as the Rainbow, and on Thursday it triggered a flash of flame at a New York City high school that left a 16-year-old boy with life-threatening burns.
The New York Times reports the U.S. Chemical Safety Board recently circulated a video warning about the experiment.
One 15-year-old Ohio girl suffered burns over nearly half her body.
Students or teachers also have been badly burned in explosions in Seattle and Frisco, Texas.
Teachers doing the experiment use methanol to burn dishes of materials, producing a variety of colored flames.
The boy burned at Manhattan’s Beacon High School was hospitalized in critical condition.