Ex-Pa. lawmaker to have competency hearing
WILKES-BARRE (AP) – Attorneys for a former state senator from northeastern Pennsylvania are scheduled to appear in court Monday to argue their client is too frail to face trial on federal corruption charges.
Lawyers for 84-year-old Raphael Musto say he suffers from liver disease and other conditions that prevent him from assisting in his defense. A competency hearing is scheduled for Monday in Wilkes-Barre.
Authorities allege Musto received about $40,000 in cash and free building renovations in exchange for supporting state funding for development projects. He retired in 2010.
Musto faces charges including fraud and bribery. His trial is scheduled to begin Jan. 13.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Sarris Candies displays "deflate-gate" chocolate football | Observer-Reporter
- 2Three sentenced in county court | Observer-Reporter
- 3Protecting history from I-70 construction at Bentleyville | Observer-Reporter
- 4News, Sports, Events, & Community
- 5W.Va. man arrested for allegedly breaking into cars in Greene | Observer-Reporter