Mental evaluation sought in Craigslist slaying
SUNBURY (AP) – The lawyer for one of two defendants charged in the death of a man they allegedly lured through a Craigslist ad is seeking a psychiatric evaluation of his client.
Elytte Barbour’s court-appointed attorney wants the evaluation to determine whether Barbour is competent to stand trial, PennLive.com reported in a story published Friday.
Barbour, 22, and his 19-year-old wife, Miranda, are being held without bail on charges they killed Troy LaFerrara of Port Trevorton on Nov. 11.
Miranda Barbour’s attorney, Northumberland County Public Defender Edward Greco, declined to say whether he will seek a psychiatric evaluation of his client.
The Barbours, who are charged with criminal homicide and other offenses, were newlyweds who had recently moved to Selinsgrove from North Carolina shortly before LaFerrara’s death.
Police say Miranda Barbour lured the 42-year-old LaFerrara through a Craigslist ad to a meeting in Selinsgrove and then drove him in her car to Sunbury, where she parked. Elytte Barbour was hiding under a blanket in the back seat and, on his wife’s signal, restrained LaFerrara with a cord around his neck while Miranda Barbour stabbed him, police said.
Elytte Barbour told investigators the couple committed the crime because they wanted to kill someone together, police say.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. professor found dead on campus | Observer-Reporter
- 3Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter
- 4Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte
- 5Washington County deputy district attorney announces candidacy for district judge | Observer-Reporte