Pennsylvania man dies in South Carolina jail
NEWBERRY, S.C. (AP) – A Pennsylvania man charged with killing his estranged wife in South Carolina last month has died in jail.
Sheriff Lee Foster says 76-year-old Charles Butler of Chambersburg, Pa., died Saturday after becoming unresponsive during a teleconferencing visit.
Butler was charged with killing 72-year-old Andreena Butler of Newberry.
Coroner Craig Newton says an autopsy showed that Charles Butler died from a heart condition.
Officials said the Butlers had been married 50 years before a separation last year.
A friend found Andreena Butler’s body Dec. 11 after being unable to contact the woman, who lived alone. An autopsy determined Andreena Butler died of a single gunshot wound to the head.
Charles Butler was arrested in Pennsylvania and he was extradited to Newberry.
The State Law Enforcement Division is investigating Charles Butler’s death.
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2Cal U. president's residence renovated to last | Observer-Reporter
- 3Reliving memories of Basle Theater | Observer-Reporter
- 4Avella store robbed at gunpoint | Observer-Reporter
- 5Rachel Shoaf gets 30 years for murder of Skylar Neese | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union