Another coaching candidate turns down Browns

Bookmark and Share
Make text smaller Make text larger

Photos


Adam Gase has told the Browns not to wait for him.


The team is moving forward with its coaching search and will conduct a second interview with Buffalo defensive coordinator Mike Pettine Tuesday night, a person familiar with the Browns’ plans told the Associated Press.


Pettine interviewed owner Jimmy Haslam and CEO Joe Banner last week and will have his second meeting on Tuesday night in Mobile, Ala., said the person who spoke on condition of anonymity because the team is not commenting during its search. Pettine is at the Senior Bowl in Mobile with other members of Buffalo’s staff.


Pettine just completed his first year with the Bills and was responsible for the defense’s improvement. Though the Bills still struggled against the run, they finished second in the NFL with a franchise-record 57 sacks. Pettine had his first interview with the Browns Jan. 16.


Earlier, Gase, Denver’s highly regarded offensive coordinator, called Haslam and informed him he was withdrawing his name and would not interview after the Super Bowl.


The 35-year-old Gase, who will lead the Broncos’ high-powered offense against Seattle, was the first candidate contacted by the Browns. Gase declined an initial interview request because he wanted to concentrate on the playoffs, and the Browns, would have had to wait until after Feb. 2 to speak with him.


Gase was believed to be the Browns’ top target in their quest to replace Rob Chudzinski, fired on Dec. 29 after one season in Cleveland.


Sherman: ‘I’m not villainous:’ Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman said in a column for SI.com that he’s not a villainous person.


Sherman has been a regular writer for mmqb.si.com for most of the season. He wrote on Monday that his postgame interview Sunday with Fox reporter Erin Andrews stemmed from adrenaline and his dislike for San Francisco wide receiver Michael Crabtree. Sherman screamed during the interview that Crabtree is a subpar receiver.


Sherman wrote, “It was loud, it was in the moment, and it was just a small part of the person I am.”


After the game Sherman didn’t back down, calling Crabtree “mediocre.” Sherman wrote that his personal problem with Crabtree stems from an incident during the offseason in Arizona but he didn’t elaborate.


Jurors deliberate in Brent case: Jurors on Tuesday began deliberating the intoxication manslaughter case against former Dallas Cowboys player Josh Brent, who is accused of drunkenly crashing his car during a night out and killing his passenger, who was a close friend and teammate.


The jury deliberated for about three hours after lawyers delivered their closing arguments to a packed courtroom. Among those watching were Stacey Jackson, whose son Jerry Brown was killed in the December 2012 wreck, and Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee. Jackson has publicly forgiven Brent, whose sentence could range from probation to 20 years in prison if he is convicted.


Vikings step closer to stadium: Minnesota’s Supreme Court dismissed a lawsuit challenging the funding plan for a new Vikings football stadium, eliminating a legal obstacle that threatened a last-minute derailment of the project.


Minnesota finance officials had to postpone a $468 million bond sale while the case was pending, and the government authority managing construction said that even a short delay in getting money from those bonds could have thrown off timelines and added costs to the project. The new stadium, on the Metrodome site in downtown Minneapolis, has a planned opening of July 2016.


The lawsuit was filed Jan. 10 by Doug Mann, an activist and former Minneapolis mayoral candidate who argued the stadium funding plan was unconstitutional. The state’s highest court disagreed.


Bookmark and Share Make text smaller Make text larger
comments powered by Disqus
Most Popular
April
2014
Saturday
19
S M T W T F S
30 31 1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 1 2 3
May
O-R's Poll Question of the Day