CARMICHAELS – Two people escaped a structure fire Thursday at a modular home in Cumberland Township. Barbara Teagarden and Carl Orndoff of 292 Jensen Hollow Road, Carmichaels, were alerted to the fire when a smoke detector went off inside the home. Neighbors said Orndoff and Teagarden tried but were unable to extinguish the fire on their own.
EMS Southwest ambulance service was called to render aid to Teagarden, who suffered from smoke inhalation.
The Carmichaels, Cumberland and Jefferson volunteer fire departments worked in below freezing temperatures to control the blaze that started shortly before 11 a.m., according to Cumberland Township Police Chief Craig Miller.
The couple’s two cats remained unaccounted for shortly before noon as smoke and fire continued to prevent firefighters from gaining access to the residence, Miller said.