Burgettstown wins family affair match
It was bound to happen, but most didn’t think it would be Wednesday night.
Burgettstown and Chartiers-Houston met in the quarterfinals of the WPIAL Class AA Team Tournament and that meant it would be father coaching against son in the BHS gym.
Terry Havelka, the head coach of Burgettstown, was in the corner opposite his son, Jeff, the head coach at Chartiers-Houston.
Dad won this one, 42-26, and that put the Blue Devils into the semifinals, where they will face top-seeded Burrell Friday at Norwin High School. The match is at 6 p.m.
Getting pins for Burgettstown against the Bucs in the quarterfinals were Stephen Kotouch (138), Jake McKee (160) and Ryan Penderville (195).
Chartiers-Houston got its lone pin from Tre Lober (Hvy).
Burgettstown advanced to the quarterfinals with a 51-15 victory over Avonworth. The Blue Devils received pins from Austin McDermitt (113), Kotouch (138), McKee (160) and Tristan Nicholson (170).
Chartiers-Houston advanced with a 37-34 upset win over Derry. Derek Hull (182), Garrett Grimm (195) and Lober got pins for the Buccaneers to help them advance.
- 1Woman arrested, charged in deadly West Pike Run home invasion | Observer-Reporter
- 2Belford, J-M lock down spot in semifinals | Observer-Reporter
- 3Eighty Four's Ross Farm included in 'crowd-funded' Super Bowl beer ad | Observer-Reporter
- 4Angel Ridge Animal Rescue, owner cited by state dog warden | Observer-Reporter
- 5Waynesburg woman to respond for allegedly conspiring in bank robbery | Observer-Reporter
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union