Waynesburg knocks off Westminster
NEW WILMINGTON – Elaine Hasek and Katie Gehlmann scored 20 points each as Waynesburg overcame a three-point halftime deficit to rout Westminster in the opening round of the women’s Presidents’ Athletic Conference basketball tournament Tuesday night.
Hayden Giuliani added 10 points for the Yellow Jackets (14-11), who entered the tournament as the No. 5 seed. Fourth-seeded Westminster got 20 points from Courtney Zitt on 8 of 18 shooting.
Westminster (15-10) shot just 30 percent in the game. In fact, without Zitt’s efforts, Westminster was just 12 of 49 from the floor, including a 3-for-17 effort by Gabby Holko, who scored 10 points.
Waynesburg held a huge rebounding advantage, 58-36, with Hasek pulling down 14 and Courtney Sargent adding eight.
The Yellow Jackets advance to Friday’s semifinals, where they will take on top-seeded hos Thomas More, the No. 4-ranked team in the country.
Jessop Community Federal Credit Union
- 1Couple surprised by Pa. Revenue Dept. audit letter | Observer-Reporter
- 2Retired Consol worker wins religious discrimination suit | Observer-Reporter
- 3Burt living his dream at Duquesne | Observer-Reporter
- 4Proposed Nottingham coal mine clears local permitting | Observer-Reporter
- 5Interim administrative judge done in Washington County | Observer-Reporter